September 22, 2020 is the first day of Fall and more importantly National Falls Prevention Awareness Day!
Here are some Fall Prevention Tips to consider:
- Wear sensible, supportive shoes and clothing.
- Remove tripping hazards, such as rugs.
- Lighten up and organize your living space to allow for clear paths from room to room.
- Use assistive devices as recommended.
- Utilize grab bars and handrails as instructed by your therapist.
- Slow down. Be aware of your surroundings, including different terrains and facilities.
- Be proactive with your health needs, such as regular vision check ups, healthy eating habits, quality sleep, and regular exercise.
- Be mindful of your medications, know the potential side effects.
- Have a plan in place: what do you do if you experience a fall? How do you get help?
These are great points to discuss with your provider to come up with a plan that is tailored to you.
~Haley Zietz, MS, OTRL